Dental implants are a permanent way to replace a missing tooth or teeth. Dental implants are made from titanium and placed in the bone of the jaw. They are carefully crafted to match surrounding teeth in shape and color, making dental implants virtually undetectable. They can last a lifetime when maintained properly.
What are dental implants made out of?
The implant post is made out of titanium, which is extremely strong, biocompatible, and naturally integrates with bone tissue. At the base of the implant, there is a piece called the abutment. This is the part of the implant that is attached to the crown. The abutment can be made of titanium or ceramic. The visible crown itself is made from tooth-colored dental-grade ceramic.
Are you a candidate for dental implants?
Dental implants are placed through a surgical procedure. At your consultation visit, one of our dentists will assess your bone and gum health to determine whether dental implants are right for you. If you’re a good candidate for dental implants, your doctor will refer you to our oral surgeon. The oral surgeon will perform the surgical procedure to place the posts in your jawbone, and you will receive a temporary restoration to wear while your gums heal.
We may not recommend dental implants if:
- The patient has the insufficient bone structure to support the dental implant.
- The patient has gum disease, which will need to be treated before the dental implant can be placed.
- The patient has a medical condition, such as diabetes, that limits their ability to heal properly.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
- Dental implants don’t only replace the visible crown of your tooth. They also replace the root, which keeps your jawbone healthy and intact.
- The bone in your jaw naturally begins to deteriorate when a tooth is lost. Dental implants prevent bone loss, keeping your smile healthy and beautiful.
- The aesthetics of the implant can be customized to mimic the appearance of the adjoining natural teeth to perfection.
- Since implants are placed in the jawbone, they will stay extremely stable in the bone and not get displaced.
To find out more about the dental services offered at All About Dentistry, call (972) 414-8800 or schedule an online consultation. You can also visit Dentist in Garland TX at 1922 Belt Line Rd, Garland, TX 75044.