Everything You Need To Know About Sedation Dentistry
If you have anxiety about dental procedures, you are far from alone. Many people put off necessary dental care because of their anxiety. Luckily, your sedation dentist in Garland, TX offers sedation dentistry to help you feel calmer and more relaxed during your appointment.
Sedation dentistry is a way for people who are nervous about going to the dentist to get the treatment they need. Sedation can be used for everything from cleanings and fillings to root canals and dental implants in Garland, TX.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Dental sedation is a method of managing pain and anxiety during dental procedures. Sedation dentistry by the Dentist, Garland, TX, helps patients feel calm when receiving dental care, which can prevent pain and anxiety from causing them to be afraid of the dentist.
Types of Dental Sedation
There are three main types of sedation dentistry offered by the Dentist in Garland, TX. They include oral conscious sedation, intravenous (IV) sedation, and nitrous oxide (laughing gas).
- Oral Conscious Sedation (OCS): Oral Conscious Sedation is the most common type of sedation dentistry. Oral sedation uses pills or liquids to help patients relax during dental procedures. It is often used for patients with low to moderate anxiety or phobias about the dentist and dental treatments. OCS is sometimes referred to as “conscious sedation” because the patient remains conscious but relaxed.
- IV Sedation: IV sedation is administered using a vein in the patient’s arm or hand. It induces a state of deep relaxation and can cause the patient to fall asleep. IV sedation is often used for dental treatments that require a lengthy amount of time, such as root canals.
- Nitrous Oxide: Nitrous oxide is commonly referred to as “laughing gas” because it is inhaled through the nose, causing the patient to experience feelings of giddy relaxation. Nitrous oxide is often used for shorter but routine dental procedures.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
There are many reasons that patients may opt for sedation dentistry.
- If you are unable to tolerate dental work, sedation dentistry may be the best option for you. Sedation dentistry allows you to complete complex procedures, like dental implants and root canal therapy, that might otherwise make you feel uncomfortable.
- Since sedation dentistry allows you to undergo dental work without pain or anxiety, patients are able to have dental procedures completed that they otherwise would not be able to.
- Dental sedation helps relax patients and allows dentists to complete dental procedures more quickly. This is because sedation allows patients to still for longer periods of time. In turn, your Garland, TX dentist can complete more procedures in less time.
- Some sedatives also have pain-relieving properties. For example, nitrous oxide can help reduce the pain that patients feel during a procedure. As a result, they can relax during the procedure while feeling less pain overall.
To find out more about the dental services offered at All About Dentistry, call (972) 414-8800 or schedule an online consultation. You can also visit the Dentist in Garland, TX, at 1922 Belt Line Rd, Garland, TX 75044.